It doesn’t make sense, right?
After all, being in your 20’s is supposed to be about experimentation! Exploring new boundaries and pushing past them! Deciding to be “free, man, I just need to live free and clear of any responsibilities…”
Except that’s wrong. Misguided. Dare I say… ignorant!
There’s so much pressure on young people in their 20’s to “get out there!” “See all your options!” “Don’t tie yourself down and waste your youth!”
And I think that’s crap.
I was in a long term relationship in my 20’s for four and a half years. While we were together, I traveled the world with him and without him, lived with him and without him, and lived my 20’s to the fullest – even though we were “locked down” with each other.
MORE: 10 Things You Should Know When Having A Relationship In Your 20s
The truth was, the stability and joy I got from my relationship helped enhance and encourage me in other aspects of my life, which brought me further than I ever could have imagined.
Take The Quiz: Are You Meant To Be Together?
Click here to take our quick (and shockingly accurate) “Are You Meant To Be Together” Quiz right now and find out if you’re really meant to be together forever…
So with that in mind, I want to share some of my favorite things about being in a relationship when you’re in your 20’s. This is for all the 20-somethings in a relationship who are tired of hearing that they should be “exploring their options” when they’re really just happy with the person they’re with.
- You have a partner – someone who has your back – and who will protect you and make sure you get home no matter what.
- You get to learn what you want in a partner early and what you need for a relationship to work.
- You have someone by your side that you can really trust as you try to build a life for yourself.
- You get to spend your time with someone that people spend their whole lives trying to find: someone who really gets who you are.
- You don’t have to deal with going on dates with crappy people and finding out first hand that they suck.
- No matter whether you get married to them or not, you’ll gain valuable experience and insight into being in a serious relationship that will last the rest of your life.
MORE: Why Developing Serious Relationships in Your 20s Matters
Want to find out if he’s in love with you? Try these 8 signs that your partner is in love with you.
- You have a person who wants to support you and give you love as you’re changing and growing and learning about yourself.
- You have someone to share secrets with, someone to laugh with, and someone to make love with, all in the same person.
- You don’t have to worry about STD’s because you’re both (hopefully) exclusive with each other.
- You don’t have to listen to your family nagging you about finding someone special – you already found them.
- You don’t ever have to feel the pressure of going out anymore, because you always have someone to spend your time with. And if you do decide to go out, you don’t have to deal with talking to strangers if you don’t want to – because your partner is there to be with you.
- You have someone who’s always looking after you and letting you know where you can improve and become a better person.
- You can have just as much fun as a single person (like traveling and hanging out with your friends) while still having the awesome perks of being with a serious partner.
- Your relationship can evolve on its own, without the pressure of finding someone to marry that comes later in life.
- You have someone who always wants to give you encouragement about the things you’re doing and cheers you on from your corner.
MORE: Things You Learn When a Long-Term Relationship Collapses in Your 20s
… (continued – Click to keep reading 26 Reasons It Rocks To Be In A Relationship In Your 20’s)
Good, as long as You take CARE
I think its the best to be in such an early relationship, because it really teaches you how to love , care and also ti know how to deal with love situations.. Its Super Good, as long as you take care…
All great reasons. You really get a good chance to find the person you want to marry during this time, as well.
If you are going to be in a relationship in your 20’s these are the types of things that you hope will happen for you!
Thank you for posting these. It really brought me back to my college days when things seemed so much easier.
Having these relationships in college are great! So many different things can happen and when you can find a guy to be with, you wish you never had to let him go.
Not gonna lie, this post was quite a throwback for me. Great feelings back then, will never forget them.
All of these are great. The list has many of the things that I can remember when I was in my 20’s and dating seriously.
I can think of at least 26 more :) I love this list, it really brings me back to the good ol’days!
Young relationships are much better regardless of how you look at it. The excitement is there, the love, the caring and all of the things that you have listed here!
I am in a relationship right now with Adam and we are just about to graduate college together at age 23. It IS great. All of these things are great. The list is spot on and makes me excited to see him later today just reading it!
I like the fact that I could call up my b/f and have him keep me company for the smallest things. Such a great time with few worries and nothing to lose, ahhhhhh.
Even though this list has some very important reasons, I do not feel that ALL of them are restricted to dating in you 20’s.
Even though I agree with this list to some degree, I would say that dating at any age can be just as exciting. You are meeting someone new, these types of feelings and such should be happening.
I agree that these are great reasons. I remember my 20’s, what a great time! My husband and I look back at them days quite often!
Being able to “play the field” is a good way to find out who is compatible with your personality. Use this time wisely.
I do not think that anyone is going to disagree with this post. Some of the reasons are far fetched, but for the most part they are ones that I could see as logical!
Back when I was in my 20’s, dating was great. I always thought that the high school “love” was the best, but I was way wrong. This is a good list!
Many of these are good reasons, but not all of them. I agree that it is nice to not really feel the pressure, but I think that many are getting married to early, even without pressure from outsiders. That brings the divorce rate up when they decide they are not going to be with each other for very long.
You got these right! I just turned 29 and looking back, things were just awesome! Now I am married and am looking forward to being with my man for many, many years :)
My 20’s did rock. I loved the entire decade and even though I was not exactly dating all of the guys out there, I was happy with the 3 or 4 relationships that were built into long term ones. These are good tips to reminisce about.
Not having to worry about STD’s is not really a reason it ROCKS to be in a relationship. If even you think you are exclusive with each other, it makes sense to be careful.
You might be able to really “play the field” the earlier in life that you get into a relationship. At the same time, the dating culture these days has most of them younger folks getting married way too quickly.
I think that if you get into a relationship early in your life, it will teach you valuable life lessons. These are very good reasons for sure!